Full Day Guided Bike Tour Along the Grand Canal Greenways and Through Historic Towns and Villages
This is a full day guided bike tour along quiet roads, cycle paths and tow paths of the Grand Canal and the Arthur’s Way.
The tour begins at Dublin’s Heuston Station, from where there is a short train ride to the historic village of Sallins.
Visit the recently opened Malt to Vault Exhibition in Ardclough Village, homestead of Arthur Guinness himself; stop off for lunch at a 19th century period house.
From there, pedal along the towpath passing the barge dwellings moored along the canal, before reaching the historic town of Celbridge where Arthur opened his first brewery, and hear stories of old such as Jonathan Swift and a secret affair!
Cycle through the newly upgraded greenway through the 18th Century Castle Town House and Estate, where you can see the grand Palladian style house and ponder the aristocratic lifestyle of times past.
Returning towards the canal via a different route, you will enjoy quiet, timeless country road dedicated to cycling!
Visit Oughterard Church and Graveyard, the resting place of Arthur and his family, before following safe and dedicated cycle paths through the historic village of Kill before returning to Sallins, and catching the train back to Dublin.
This is a full day tour jamb packed with history, fun and scenic views.
- Capacity: from 2 (minimum) to 8 (maximum) persons
- Availability: Weekdays from April to October
- Ability and confidence to ride a bike in a rural environment
- Must have a good level of fitness and be in good health
- Minimum Age 16
- Start time: 9:30 am
- Private and public groups
- Private local guide
- Train tickets
- Bikes and safety equipment
- Visit to the Malt to Vault Exhibit (subject to opening times)
- Historic Town of Sallins
- Grand Canal Greenway
- Visit to Malt to Vault Exhibit
- Refreshments at Arthur’s Cafe (optional)
- Lunch at Cliff at Lyons (optional)
- The haunted 13th Lock
- Arthur’s Way
- Celbridge and its Viking and Norman Origins
- Castletown House and Estate
- Sli na Dala, Ancient Road
- Oughterard Church and Graveyard
- Historic Town of Kill
- Return to Sallins
- Return to Dublin (by train)
Duration – 7 to 8 Hours approx.
Skill/Fitness Level: Advanced